Thursday, December 13, 2012

Paris

So, Paris. An entry from 1000 Places that gets its own multi-page feature, with lists and lists of top 10 must-sees.

So.

Meh. If I had to rank the top ten most beautiful cities in the world, or even just Europe, Paris wouldn't make the cut. I think people have a tendency to hold onto what something once was, rather than face the reality of what it has become; and what Paris has become smells awful. If you took all the graffiti from every city I have ever visited and plastered it across one city, it might equal what's going on in Paris.





There. That's about the right height for viewing Paris. No smells. I suppose if you take the trouble to go all the way there, you're going to want to see more, so:

For ten euros you can get a day pass that works on all public transportation there. The easiest way to visit the big sites in Paris is with one of the tour bus companies, who charge around twenty-seven euros for a day pass. The company we went with stopped at the Eiffel Tower, Notre Dame Cathedral, the Arc de Triomphe, the Louvre (closed on Tuesdays), and a handful of other sites. Unfortunately, it doesn't have a stop at the Catacombs, which I deeply regret missing.

3 comments:

  1. Angela,
    I've donated you but still waiting for your excel.
    Could you please send it to me.
    Thanks & regards,
    Roman

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Roman,

    Is your email roman.wildberger at gmx? If that's correct, I sent the spreadsheet Dec 6. Maybe it's in your spam folder? The subject line is '1000 Places'.

    Angela

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your fast respons. Yes it is roman.wildberger (at) gmx.net.
      May I please send it again - my "spam-history" lasts only until 7.12.
      Thanks & regards,
      Roman

      Delete